Grits and Grillades
A classic New Orleans Breakfast!
- Pork chops sliced thin
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 quart beef stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cool water
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cooked grits
Season veal escallops on each side with salt and pepper. Heat butter in a large skillet and sauté the veal until it is lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer cooked meat to a platter and hold in a warm oven while prepping the sauce.
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion, green onion, bell pepper, garlic and celery until tender. Stir in bay leaf and Italian seasoning, and add the tomatoes, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.
When the mixture is well-blended, stir in the stock and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix the cornstarch and cool water, and stir it into the sauce to thicken it. Add the parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook over medium heat until reduced by one-fourth. Remove the bay leaf.
Spoon the sauce onto warm plates, and center a veal escallop on each. Place grits on the side of the meat, ladle additional sauce over the grits and meat. Garnish with parsley and a few capers.